State Approval & Hours
Refer to this page for details of state approval hours for this course.
AI CE Points:
· Attended Only:
· Attend and Pass Exam:
Class Time: 14 hours
Exam Hours: 1
Required and/or Recommended Equipment
· A financial calculator is required. The accepted model used in the program is the HP-12C. AI education programs that require a financial calculator are developed with HP-12C keystrokes; using this model is highly recommended.
· You must be familiar with calculator operation when the program begins. Do not enroll expecting to be taught how to use a financial calculator.
· Free Review: Using a Financial Calculator: Formulas, Symbols, Math Review, and Sample Problems; and Financial Calculator Practice Exercises.
· For additional help with the HP-12C calculator, take our online seminar Using Your HP-12C Financial Calculator.
· HP-12C calculator User’s Manual.
PV Value®—Ei Value®
· During this program, we will use the income capitalization approach through a DCF of the energy produced by the solar PV system. The software is free, has been vetted by appraisers, and is easy to use.
· Note. The software is not the only tool available to develop a DCF. Appraisers with good Excel skills may have their own DCF that meets their needs.
· Register for a free Ei Value® account to download the iPad app from the iTunes Store for tablet use. You will use this software to work on the case studies in this program.
· Though dated, the original PV Value® user manual provides excellent information on the authors, the model, and the source of information.
Roof Azimuth Tool—
· This online tool from Solmetric can help establish an estimate of the azimuth when one is not available on site.
· Residential Green Valuation Tools
· The Valuation of Green Commercial Real Estate
If you choose to download course materials, it is best to bring a printed hard copy to class since it is difficult to change computer screens to find the data needed for using the software in solving the case studies.
This course is approved for 15 GBCI CE Hours by the USGBC.
You will be asked to clear the calculator’s memory before and after the examination. Only one calculator is permitted in the testing room. Examinees taking most AI exams may bring their own calculator to use during the exam. Laptops, cellular phones, tablets, iPads, wearable technology (smart watch, Apple Watch, Google Glass, etc.), and other devices that can store data or connect to the Internet are NOT permitted during the exam. In addition, all watches, wallets, bags, and purses must be removed and stored out of reach prior to taking the exam.
Who should enroll:
· Real property appraisers
· Real estate agents
· Quality control personnel
· Solar installers
The number of solar photovoltaic (PV) system installations is continuing to increase as the price becomes more feasible in many markets. Appraisers will find the valuation a challenge without knowledge of the technology and data available to use the most appropriate methodology. Appraisers must expand their knowledge base to understand how electricity is priced, how solar PV is priced, and how solar PV functions to develop a credible value. If you are seeking education that will hone your skills or teach you new ones, this is the course for you.
Residential and commercial appraisers will work together to apply an income capitalization approach and cost approach to valuing energy produced for solar PV systems. All you need is a tablet or iPad, with Internet access, and you’ll be able to use free online software to value the energy that solar systems produce.
Please note. This course does not address utility-scale solar (solar farms), solar thermal, or other on-site renewable energy generation.
Note. This course is in the Valuation of Sustainable Buildings Professional Development Program. View this list of FAQs, which includes information regarding the courses you’ll need to complete the program successfully.
· Recognize key solar PV terms.
· Identify and use the documents and data necessary to value solar PV systems.
· Describe and analyze solar PV components and identify their relevance to market valuation.
· Develop a credible value opinion using tools, worksheets, and resources provided in the course.
· Recognize potential valuation problems, including USPAP and lender/underwriter concerns.
· Introduction to Green Buildings: Principles & Concepts OR
· An Introduction to Valuing Commercial Green Buildings seminar OR
· Valuation of Green Residential Properties seminar
Materials option defaults to Download. If you chose to pay for printed materials and have them shipped, please do not forget to bring them with you as there will not be any available on site.
The Appraisal Institute and AQB require full attendance (100%) at the course. If the attendance roster reflects less than 100%, it could/will show up on the roster submission to the states.
With written requests postmarked more than 14 days prior to seminar, refunds will be granted less a $25 cancellation fee. For written requests postmarked 7 to 14 days prior to event, an $50 cancellation fee applies. Cancellations 7 days or less prior to the seminar and “no shows” the day of the event will forfeit payment.